Despite rumors, J.J. Abrams has yet to fully commit to filming Star Wars Episode VII. He is an excellent director of the sci-fi genre, but I doubt a Star Trek director will go over well with the Star Wars fans. My fear would be he would try to thrown in a few Star Trek references, offending me and zillions of other fans. Even if he has been made official, I can still dream right?
- Clint Eastwood- He is an excellent storyteller, and while he has not ventured into Science Fiction, I believe that he could pull it off and bring us a “space opera” feel that made us love the Original Trilogy so much.
- Joss Whedon- Do I really need to give an explanation? After the genius that was Marvel’s The Avengers, Firefly, and so many others, I believe he could rebrand the franchise and make it better (well, then the Prequel Trilogy anyway.)
- Jon Turteltaub- Despite having a difficult name to spell, he has brought us National Treasure and its sequel, along with a few other hits. He could nail the “adventure” side of the Star Wars franchise and give us some compelling characters.
- Christopher Nolan- After the genius that became The Dark Knight Trilogy, I’m convinced that Nolan could bring a Star Wars film of incredible proportion. Just so long as he doesn’t cast Leonardo DiCaprio, everything will be fine.
- Bryan Singer- Though he totally ruined Superman Returns, I’m willing to forgive him because he is an excellent director. The first two X-Men films were great and I believe he could deliver on Star Wars.
All of these are my opinion, but I welcome yours as well. Leave it in the comment section and we’ll see how this goes.