Marvel Comics is king for live-action films. No one can really dispute that. However, for animated features, DC Comics rules the roost when it comes to Direct-to-DVD.
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts is a more family-feature film, however, it is a well put together “brave and the bold” film.
As a meteor made of pure gold passes towards the Earth, some strange animal themed crimes are being committed throughout Gotham City. The Animalitia, featuring Cheetah, Silverback, Killer Croc, and newcomer Man-Bat, are attacking various places in the city. Batman and his allies Nightwing, Red Robin, Green Arrow get some help from the Flash who arrives while investigating a robbery in Central City.
As they investigate the crime sprees and encounter three mysterious high powered robots, they soon find out that Oswald Cobblepot is working with a Dr. Langstrom to develop the robots for “clean-up.” However, Batman and his allies know better as the meteor gets closer to Earth, they deduce that the villains are somehow plan to crash the golden meteor on Gotham, killing millions.
This was a pretty good film, even as a kid’s movie. While it did have some plot holes and some very corny dialogue, the film made it for it with voice cast and animation. The film borrows the “cyberpunk” feel of Batman Forever with futuristic devices and flying cars. That being said, it was a good movie. Check it out today!
PARENTAL CONCERNS: Mild action violence, rude behavior
- Roger Craig Smith – Batman/Bruce Wayne
- Dana Snyder – The Penguin/Oswald Cobblepot
- Chris Diamantopoulos – Green Arrow/Oliver Queen
- Laura Bailey – Cheetah/Barbara Minerva, Newcaster
- John DiMaggio – Killer Croc/Waylon Jones
- Will Friedle – Nightwing/Dick Grayson
- Yuri Lowenthal – Red Robin/Tim Drake
- Phil LaMarr – Man-Bat/Kirk Langstrom
- Charlie Schlatter – Flash
- Keith Szarabajka – Silverback
- Richard Epcar – Commissioner James Gordon
- Alastair Duncan – Alfred Pennyworth
- Amanda Troop – Gladys Windsmere, Pretty Girl