Chris Hemsworth stars in this Michael Mann directed thriller Blackhat. The story of a cyber-terrorist who is planning something very big, but no one can pinpoint what it is or how he does it.
In Hong Kong, a computer hacker uses a RAT (Remote Access Tool) to stop the cooling fans, causing an explosion and threatening a meltdown. Not long after in Chicago, Illinois, at the Mercantile Trade Exchange, the same RAT, slightly upgraded, is used to cause soy products.
FBI Agent Carol Barrett forms a task force with Captain Chen Dawai and his sister, computer engineer Chen Lien to find the mysterious Blackhat who caused this. Captain Chen realizes it was part of a code that he and fellow MIT student Nicholas Hathaway developed. Hathaway is given conditional release and the group goes after the mysterious hacker.
Michael Mann is an incredible storyteller who relies on suspense, music, and muted colors to tell his stories. This movie is very well made, but I am not a fan of the deadpan characters he portrays. There was little humor and though Chris Hemsworth and Viola Davis (who played Agent Barrett) are both incredible actors, it was hard to see through the lack of emotion that was portrayed in most of the film.
Other than that, it was a great film full of suspense, action, and a great transition into the new world we live in, where the villains blend in so well with the crowd.
FAVORITE QUOTE: You can call me chika anytime.
PARENTAL CONCERNS: Violence, brief strong languages, suggestive themes, and thematic elements
- Chris Hemsworth as Nicholas Hathaway, a convicted computer hacker
- Leehom Wang as Captain Chen Dawai
- Viola Davis as FBI Special Agent Carol Barrett
- Ritchie Coster as Kassar
- Holt McCallany as Deputy United States Marshal Jessup
- Yorick van Wageningen as Sadak, ‘The Blackhat’
- Tang Wei as Chen Lien, Chen’s sister
- Andy On as Hong Kong Police Inspector Alex Trang
- Manny Montana as Lozano
- William Mapother as Rich Donahue, a National Security Agency operative
- Archie Kao as Shum
- Shi Liang as Lieutenant Colonel Zhao
- Cheung Siu Fai as Chow
- Adrian Pang as Keith Yan
- Jason Butler Harner as Frank
- John Ortiz as Henry Pollack
- Alexander von Roon as News Anchor
- Leanne Li as Emergency Worker