Based on the novel The Martian by Andy Weir and directed by Ridley Scott, this film is one of the best things to come out of Scott Free Productions in a long time.
In 2035, Mark Watney is a botanist whose astronaut team is exploring the surface of Mars. However, after an environmental disaster, the crew is forced to abandon their mission. Mark is injured in a collision and left behind, with his crew thinking he is dead.
Mark is alive and he begins making preparations to survive until the next manned mission to Mars. However, NASA discovers he is alive and begin a rescue plan. His old crew, feeling guilty, also begin to communicate with him.
As the days on Mars seem to get longer, Mark continues to work hard to survive and to keep his spirit alive.
Matt Damon shines in this role and I think it will be one he will be remembered for. Aside from the acting, the way they show Mars and the shots in outer space look incredibly real. I researched some of the science of the film and discovered both Andy Weir and Ridley Scott took great aims to make it as accurate as possible. They did a great job.
PARENTAL CONCERNS: Strong language, dramatic scenes, brief rear-end shot
FAVORITE QUOTE: I don’t want to come off as arrogant here, but I’m the greatest botanist on this planet.
- Matt Damon as Mark Watney, a botanist who is part of the Ares III team
- Jessica Chastain as Melissa Lewis, a geologist and the Ares III mission commander.
- Michael Peña as Major Rick Martinez, the pilot of the Ares III mission.
- Kate Mara as Beth Johanssen, the Ares III’s system operator.
- Sebastian Stan as Dr. Chris Beck, an astronaut and flight surgeon for the Ares III mission.
- Aksel Hennie as Dr. Alex Vogel, a German national who is the navigator and chemist of Ares III.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as Vincent Kapoor, NASA’s Mars mission director
- Mackenzie Davis as Mindy Park, a satellite planner in Mission Control
- Sean Bean as Mitch Henderson, the Ares III’s mission director.
- Jeff Daniels as Theodore “Teddy” Sanders, the NASA director.
- Donald Glover as Rich Purnell, a JPL astrodynamicist
- Benedict Wong as Bruce Ng, director of JPL
- Kristen Wiig as Annie Montrose, the director of media relations for NASA.
- Eddy Ko as Guo Ming, chief scientist at CNSA.
- Chen Shu as Zhu Tao, deputy chief scientist at CNSA.
- Naomi Scott as Ryoko.
- Nick Mohammed as Tim Grimes.