Nothing defines a generation more than their slang. As a Millennial, I am ashamed at some of the slang that I used in the early 90s. Here is a list of favorite words and phrases that I remember from back in the day.
- Boo Ya- A way to exclaim “Take that!”
- …with- Example: “Just take it with or I’m with.” It was a way to shorten what we had to say.
- LOL- Yes, we started the acronym for “Lots of Laughs” and/or “Laughing Out Loud.”
- Aiight- This is a shortened version of “Alright.”
- Dope- It could mean: neat!
- As if- Our version of “yeah right.” This one made it into television and movies.
- Trippin’- Another way to say, “You’re insane!”
- You go!- Example: You go, girl!
- Bangin’/Slammin’- Another way to say “cool.” Has a totally different meaning today.
- Sup- A shortened version of “Wassup” which is a shortened version of Wazzzz Uppp which is a urbanized version of “What’s up?”
- Bling-Bling- Example: “What’s with all the bling-bling?” In reference to someone wearing a lot jewelry.
- The Bomb- Example: “Whoa, that was the bomb!” Another way to say, “Awesome!” Immortalized with thanks to FoxKids.
I still cannot believe that I spoke like that. I must’ve sounded so ignorant. Anyway, those are some of my favorite 90s slang. Did I miss any of yours? Comment below and subscribe because you might see them in a future list.